You’re running late one morning, and your garage door is stuck or won’t open. What could possibly be the cause? Here are a few of the most common problems, the reasons behind them and some possible solutions.
1. You push the button on your remote and the door won’t open
- Is the battery in your remote still good?
- Change the battery.
- Is the power out?
- Pull the emergency cord to open the door manually. If the door is bolted shut, release the latch on the side.
- There are a number of door openers on the market that are equipped with a backup battery.
2. When you close the door with your remote, it hits the cement and then goes back up
- Your photoelectric automatic reversal system (2 boxes installed 4” above the ground on the vertical tracks) is misaligned.
- Realign the beam from one side to the other.
- If you look at the control panel located near the door going into your house, you will see the indicator light stop blinking once the units are realigned.
3. You try to close the door, but it doesn’t close all the way
- The path of descent is out of adjustment.
- The adjustment screw is located on the motor housing. You will need a screwdriver to turn it. You may also find directions on the motor housing for making this adjustment.
4. You try to open the door, but it doesn’t go all the way up
- The path of ascent is out of adjustment.
- The adjustment screw is located on the motor housing. Adjustments are made the same way as in #3 above.
5. Your remote won’t work, even though you’re only a few feet away from the door
- The receiver antenna isn’t getting the signal from the remote.
- Fully extend the antenna.
- There could be some sort of interference in the surrounding area. You may need to install an exterior antenna or increase the length of the one you already have.
- A little patience…
- Press the button for at least 2 seconds. It’s very possible that the battery is running low. Consider replacing it.
It’s always a good idea to consult the manufacturer’s maintenance manual for your particular garage door opener model. If you don’t have it, you might be able to find one on the Internet.
Our technicians at Automated Door Systems in Etobicoke and Guelph are familiar with all brands of electric garage door openers and related accessories.
Call us at (416) 239-7777 for Toronto and at (519) 829-3777 for Guelph or fill out our convenient online form to receive personalized service!